Monday, July 13, 2015

Review: Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige



Title: Dorothy Must Die 
Author: Danielle Paige
Publisher: HarperCollins 
Publication Date: April 1st, 2014
Genre: Fantasy 
Page Count: 452 
Age Range: 13+ 



Synopsis (from Goodreads):

I didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to be some kind of hero.
But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado- taking you with it- you have no choice but to go along, you know? 
Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow  and the happy little bluebirds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still a yellow brick road- but even that's crumbling.
What happened? Dorothy. 
They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head. And now no one is safe. 
My name is Amy Gumm- and I'm the other girl from Kansas. 
I've been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked. 
I've been trained to fight.
And I have a mission. 

My Thoughts: 
I love the Wizard of Oz. I have loved it since I saw it the first time when I was three years old and received an Oz play set the same year. So, when I first saw this book in Barnes and Noble I was very hesitant towards reading it because I was scared it would warp my thoughts on the original. I finally picked it up about two weeks ago because I had a coupon (I know, bad excuse). But let me tell you I am 150% happy with my decision. Dorothy Must Die was one of the best adaptations of a book I have ever read. I loved the beginning, the middle, and the end. Each and every character was thought out in the context of the book and the original.

So the book takes place after Dorothy. She has already saved Oz from the Wicked Witch of the West and is best friends with the Tin Man, Scarecrow, and Lion. The book begins with Amy Gumm, a loner who never fit in in Kansas. When she is swept away in a tornado and finds herself in Oz, she must adapt to her new environment and grow as a person. What she finds in Oz is so much different than what she remembers from the stories. Dorothy is supposed to be an innocent, sweet girl in a blue checkered dress. Yes, she may still be wearing the checkered dress but she is far from innocent and sweet. She has taken control of Oz, with the help of her friends, and is sucking the magic right out of the ground. Amy is taken in by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked with one task: kill Dorothy.

Sounds amazing right?!?! Well it was. We never got an epilogue to the Wizard of Oz, so we never knew what happened to the characters as well as Oz itself. This book takes a little bit of a turn by casting Dorothy and her friends in a negative light. Paige is also using this to question the definition of  "Wicked" and "Good" and what it takes to become either one. Remember Glinda the Good Witch? Well she is not so good anymore, and her twin sister Glamoura (the "Wicked" one) is now looking to help Oz.

I really liked Amy. She started off as a whiny, helpless girl from Kansas. Throughout the story, she was thrown into situations that she was never in before and had to learn. She started to use magic, and realized that this is where she belonged, helping the people of Oz.I also loved the secondary characters. Mombi, Nox, and Glamoura were the best sidekicks, but they each had their own problems. Nothing in Oz is ever as it seems.

Overall, this book was a huge surprise for me. I thought it would ruin my thoughts about the original story but it just made me appreciate it more. Go read it.
 (please)

Rating: *****
Cover Rating: Perfect.
Recommendations:
1. Cinder by Melissa Meyer
2. The Selection by Kiera Cass
3. Insanity by Cameron Jace
Favorite Quotations: "What have I done to make them think I was a potential teen girl assassin?"


Now, what do you think?


Sincerely.
a Book Nerd

No comments:

Post a Comment