Monday, June 8, 2015

Review: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern





Title: The Night Circus
Author: Erin Morgenstern
Publisher: Doubleday
Publication Date: September 13, 2011
Genre: Fantasy 
Page Count:387 
Age Range: 12+



Synopsis (from Goodreads):
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black- and- white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazement. It is called "Le Cirque des Reves" and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway- a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love- a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and he room grow warm whenever the so much as brush hands. 

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus performers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead. 

My Thoughts:
You know how you can just tell you will love a book just by the first page? Yes, well I knew that I would be obsessed with this book just by the first two sentences. I am not going to write them here because I do not want to spoil the experience for you, but just trust me on this. I am also going to say right now that this book surprised me in more ways than one. I was expecting this book to be about a young love that fills the pages. Yes, there was a love but no, it was not the main plot and center of the story. The story itself was more about this circus and competition and how it effected everyone around it. I was also not expecting it to take place in the late eighteen hundreds, early nineteen hundreds. It was a positive surprise because it added culture changes that I was not expecting.

Alright so I usually would kind of explain the book in my words and what was important to me, but I think the synopsis above from Goodreads does such an amazing job. So, I will skip that part of my review today and get to the good stuff.

Erin freakin Morgenstern. Please. I mean, can she get any better?

Her descriptions in this book made me want to cry. With jealousness. She was soooooooooo good. I mean, there were parts of the book where I literally thought I would look up and see the mysterious circus around me. I think what made this book for me was her writing. It was mysterious, dark, and, compelling and made me want to keep reading. Honestly, this book could have had no plot and I would have kept reading just because I wanted to stay for the descriptions. I mean, yes the plot was exciting as well. The fierce competition that was going on in the middle of this huge circus with enough mystery enough made it an intense place to be. Celia and Marco did not know that one had to be left standing, but they did know that they were putting the people around them in some serious danger. Each and every cast member was in the middle of the competition and did not know it. Celia and Marco had to be creative in not only keeping the circus alive and running but also trying to save themselves at the same time.

This brought in a couple other characters that I loved. Bailey and the twins added so much more to the story that you would not expect from the beginning of the novel. Again, I am not going to spoil this for you (just go read the book!!!).

One thing though about this book that I had trouble with was the multitude of characters. I had to keep flipping back a few pages to figure out which character was whom. I was so confused by the names of the characters and who did what and who is friends with who that I just kind of gave up and went with the flow (which ended up helping).

Overall, this book was so captivating and well written. I would recommend this book for anyone who does not like to put a book down due to the need to keep reading. SO GO PICK IT UP!

Rating: ****
Cover Rating: I LOVE IT x 10000
Recommendations:
1. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
2. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
3. The Paper Magician by Charlie Holmberg
Favorite Quotation: "Only the ship is made of books its sails thousands of overlapping pages, and the sea it floats upon is dark black ink"


Now, what do you think?


Sincerely,
a Book Nerd

No comments:

Post a Comment