Monday, June 29, 2015

Emmy & Oliver by Robin Benway




Title: Emmy & Oliver 
Author: Robin Benway
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: June 23, 2015
Genre: Contemporary 
Page Count: 352
Age Range: 12+


Synopsis (from Goodreads):

Emmy's best friend, Oliver, reappears after being kidnapped by his father ten years ago. Emmy hopes to pick up their relationship right where it left off. Are they destined to be together? Or has fate irreparably driven them apart?
Emmy just wants to be in charge of her own life. She wants to stay out late, surf her favorite beach- go anywhere without her parents' relentless worrying. But Emmy's parents can't seem to let her grow up- not since the day Oliver disappeared. 

Oliver needs to figure out his heart. He'd thought, all these years, that his dad was the good guy. He never knew that it was his father who kidnapped him and kept him on the run. Discovering it, and finding himself returned to his old hometown, all at once, has his heart racing and his thoughts swirling. 

Emmy and Oliver were going to be best friends forever, or maybe even more, before their futures were ripped apart. In Emmy's soul, despite the space and time between them, their connection has never been severed. But is their story still written in the stars? Or are their hearts like the pieces of two different puzzles- impossible to fit together?

My Thoughts:

If you have been reading my blog for a while, you have probably seen my Audrey, Wait review. So, you know how much I like Robin Benway.  Of course when I heard that she had written a new book I was pretty much like "KDJSFLKLJJDJKEELDNDNKKPAP YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!" This is always a bad thing to do because I get myself so excited and ready for a book and when I read it, the book never ever lives up to my expectations. 

Emmy & Oliver was an exception. I freaked when I heard about the book, and when I read it I was happily surprised. Robin freaking Benway did it again. Emmy & Oliver was cute, impressive, thought provoking and just overall amazing. Emmy and Oliver started off as best friends when they were born on the same day and their parents became good friends. However, when Oliver is kidnapped by his father, their friendship shatters. Their whole town has to pick up the pieces and get on with their lives. Emmy has the hardest time with this, losing her best friend and her freedom. Her parents are crazy overprotective and will not let Emmy do what she loves, surfing.

I liked Emmy. I liked Emmy a lot. She was strong through everything that happened to her, especially when Oliver comes back. She stood up for what she wanted, even if she thought that it might be taken away from her. Her love for surfing and her friends comes through the pages (due to Benway's amazing writing). I also really enjoyed her friends. Caro and Drew were the best sidekicks ever. They teased each other, supported each other, and loved each other. This was one of those friendships that I always envy when I read books like this one.

The plot in general was very intriguing and reminded me a lot of the TV show Finding Carter. Have any of you watched that show? It is SOOO GOOD and Carter reminds me so much Oliver. They both have so much trouble finding themselves and defining their identity after the traumatic events that happened in their lives. 

Honestly, go read this book. 

It is alive and full of passion and voice. Benway did it again, and reading this book is totally worth it. If you are looking for a book that will make you think about your family and how your life can change in one moment, please pick it up. 

Rating: ****
Cover Rating: It's okay I guess 
Recommendations:
1. Saint Anything by  Sarah Dessen 
2. The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord 
3. I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios 

Now, what do you think?
Sincerely,
a Book Nerd 

No comments:

Post a Comment