Monday, May 4, 2015

Review: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo




Title: Shadow and Bone
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.

Publication Date: June 5th, 2012
Genre: Fantasy
Page Count: 368 
Age Range: 12+ 


Synopsis (from Goodreads):
Surrounded by enemies, the once- great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulder of one lonely refugee. 

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals dormant power that saves his life- a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched by everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha... and the secrets of her heart. 

My Thoughts:
Okay I am just going to start by saying that I absolutely loved this book. It was not what I seemed, but a 100 times better than I thought it was going to be. It was suspenseful, entertaining, and heart wrenching. Although it was a tad hard to follow at some points, if you kept reading it made sense in no time.

The book is about a girl named Alina, an orphan, that has only been close to one person in her whole life. His name is Mal, and he is her best friend. He has always been the popular, good looking guy while she is the loner that no one really chooses to talk to. When she is put in a life threatening situation, she shows a unique power that could save her whole world. Before I discuss the book I should give you some background on the world they are living in. They live in the country of Ravka, which is surrounded by enemy territory due to wars. In her world, there are people called the Grisha. They are people with special powers, anything from summoning darkness to manipulating wind. Alina is the Sun Summoner, and her power balances out the power of the all powerful and all knowing, Darkling.

Now I am just going to come out and say that this book is very heavy fantasy. I know so many of my friends will not pick up a fantasy book if it gave them buckets of cookies (crazy I know). So, if you are not a fan of fantasy I do not know if this will be the book for you. You really have to put all of your realities and facts outside before you start reading. Many times while I was reading I had to have suspense of disbelief because so many things in the book would just not make sense in our world. It may be difficult to read at times because there are so many words and phrases that are so unique to us that we have to learn and become familiar with.

I thought that the plot line was very well written. All of the cliff hangars and suspenseful builds came at the right time (even though they killed me at the moment). Bardugo did a great job writing this book in the way that made the readers want to read more. Every page was building up to something (especially the ending!!). 

I know in my last review I talked about characters and how I will not usually like the book if I cannot connect to the characters, or understand where they are coming from. This book was filled with characters was were heartfelt and genuine. I am a huge fan of Alina. Although she was your typical YA fiction protagonist, she did not feel that she was invincible. She constantly doubted herself, just like any other real teenage girl. I also thought the secondary characters, Mal, Zoya, or the Darkling not only enhanced Alina's personality but build on the story line.

Overall, I would recommend this to any fantasy lovers or anyone in for a really great story. But I am just warning you, you will be spending so much time because you will just want to read the second and third right after!

Rating: *****
Cover Rating: SO COOL
Recommendations:
1. The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski 
2. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
3. Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard 

Now, what do you think?
Sincerely,
a Book Nerd 

No comments:

Post a Comment