Monday, May 11, 2015

Review: The Passion of Marie Romanov by Laura Rose





Title: The Passion of Marie Romanov
Author: Laura Rose
Publisher: Memoir House
Publication Date: April 28, 2014
Genre: Historical Fiction
Page Count: 228 
Age Range: 13+ 


Synopsis (from Goodreads):
"July 17, 1918- from the writings of Marie Nicolaevna Romanovna, age 19. Midnight, in bed with her sister Anastaisa (Shvybz), in teh Ipatiev Mansion in Ekaterinburg, during the last night of their lives. So much of my story unfolds by moonlight. This is a tale of midnight wakings and forced marches before dawn. Since this nightmare began, I do not dare undress, even to go to bed. I wear my dressing gown, my hair is prepared, and my shoes are set beside me. I have no idea when we will be summoned to rise. We have moved, as in the worst of dreams, slowly toward this place. There is no logic other than the sleepwalker's obedience- to follow instruction which we cannot resist: an actual lunacy. Now, I have control only of this- my record of what happened to us, to me. I have committed a single sin, my one terrible transgression. I pray to be absolved. In this recording of memory lies all meaning to my life. Let my will prevail in this, my ultimate wish, to salvage something of value from this tragedy. The rest, as my mother says, is in God's hands. When I look back, as I must in the short time alloted to me now, I can see the exact moment when our lives changed: at last light, on the thirteenth of March, 1917." Here, in startling new historical detail, based on original diaries and letters, is the Romanov tragedy told from the point of view of the Tsar's third daughter, Marie, Anastasia's closest, older sister. Marie's sory is unique- only Marie crossed the frozen Siberian river with her parents, and only marie shared the full 78 days and nights in 'The House of Special Purpose'

My Thoughts:
Okay so you already know how I feel about this book if you have read one of my earlier posts. But, in my Historical Fiction post, I talked about the book only to the part I was up to. Let me tell you, it gets so much better towards the end. The whole book leads up to the ending which does not disappoint, even if it breaks your heart a little (or a lot).

So this book is about Marie Romanov, duh did you see the title? Most people only really know about Anastasia, whether that is from the movie, history class, or just from friends. I think that maybe even Rasputin is more known than any of the Romanov family. Anyway, I have always been interested in this time of history, especially this family. So, this book was a perfect fit.

The book starts about a year or so before the family got assassinated and goes until the day or so before. The readers get an idea of how the family was feeling and what exactly was happening. Unlike some other historical fiction books this one was very accurate (or from what I know). There were certain parts of the book when I had to google people, events, or just random facts. Not only was I entertained while reading, I was learning (so much fun I know)!!

I loved Marie. I loved Marie so much. She was so loyal and strong for her family. When her mother needed her, she was there. Even though her mother never paid her so much attention, Marie still helped her at any given moment. The family dynamics was so interesting in this book. The pairs of sisters and poor little Alexei. Olga & Tatiana and Marie & Anastasia were best friends and sisters. When they are put in this horrible situation, they all handle it differently but they are always there for each other. Olga suffers terribly after a run in with the guards and although she does not recover, her relationship with Tatiana helps her through it.

Now let me give you a fair warning. This book will take you on an emotional roller coaster ride. At one point you are laughing, the next time you are crying. You get so attached to all of the characters and you hope that what you know will happen will not. You are also at the mercy of Laura Rose's use of suspense. Let me tell you that the ending had me gripping at my kindle and making myself read. At one point I had to get up and walk around because I was so nervous.

Overall, if you are a fan of historical fiction you will love this one and if you are not a fan of historical fiction than you will still love it. The story of this family will always stay with you. 


Rating: *****
Cover Rating: I like it 
Recommendation:
1. The Lost Crown by Sarah Miller
2. Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly 
3. The Romanov Sisters by helen Rappaport 

Now, what do you think?

Sincerely,
a Book Nerd 

No comments:

Post a Comment