Saturday, May 30, 2015

Review: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews




Title: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
Author: Jesse Andrews 

Publisher: Amulet Books 
Publication Date: March 1, 2012
Genre: Realistic Fiction


Page Count:295
Age Range: 13+



Synopsis (from Goodreads):
Greg Gaines is the last master of high school espionage, able to disappear at will into any social environment. He has only one friend, Earl, and together they spend their time making movies, their own incomprehensible versions of Coppola and Herzog cult classics.

Until Greg's mother forces him to rekindle his childhood friendship with Rachel.

Rachel has been diagnosed with leukemia-- cue extreme adolescent awkwardness-- but when a parental mandate has been issued and must be obeyed. When Rachel stops treatment, Greg and Earl decide the thing to do is make a film for her, which turns into the World Film Ever Made and becomes a turning point in each of their lives. 

And all at once Greg must abandon invisibility and stand in the spotlight. 

My Thoughts:
Okay everyone so I do not know if you remember my Audrey, Wait review from a couple weeks ago. I did a list review (remember, I list what I like and don't like about the book) which is what I am going to do today!! I know you are all super excited about this!!!

Anyway let me start. 

So this book literally had me laughing out loud. In public. At work. Yeah, probably a bad idea to start this book there but I am over it. 

This book is pretty much about boy (Greg), his friend Earl, and this dying girl named Rachel. Greg has figured out the perfect recipe at how to stay on the outside of high school. He is part of all social groups, but not part of any of them. He has a problem trusting people...his only friend he has, he calls him his "coworker" (in making movies). When his mom makes him befriend a girl who has just been diagnosed with leukemia, he has to abandon his invisibility and make a new friend.

Okay, list time.

Pros:
1.) This was absolutely hilarious. Like I was dying x 10000000000000000. The book hadn't even started and I was already laughing hysterically. "A NOTE FROM GREG GAINES, AUTHOR OF THIS BOOK" was too much for me. Let me give you a snippet.
"When I first started writing this book. I tried to start it with the sentence 'It was the best of times; it was the worst of times.' I genuinely thought I could start this book that way.... In desperation I tried messing with the punctuation and italicization, like: It was the best of times? And it was the worst of times?!!!" 
Like it was this kind of funny. Jesse Andrews just has a certain type of humor that comes through the pages that really gets you going. It has such a twisted sense of humor and I love it.

2.) It does not try hard. Since this is a book about a girl with cancer, I just kept comparing it to The Fault in Our Stars. This book was NOTHING like the John Green book. At the beginning of Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, the author literally writes that this book does not have any life lessons about cancer and that he "probably became stupider about life". Jesse Andrews is not trying to get you to have a deep connection to this book, and I love it.

3.) It is so unique and different. Not just the story, but the organization of the book was so crazy. Each chapter had a freaking awesome title like "Let's just get this embarrassing chapter out of the way" or "The Gaines Family: a Summary". Andrews also uses organization from a screenplay, bullets, lists, etc. It was not typical organization and writing which adds to the experience of reading this book.

Cons:

1.) Too short. I felt that the book was not able to develop as much as it could and reach its full potential. It could have been so much better if there was just a little bit more substance.

2.) Plot was there but not showcased. Yes there was there was a plot but it really wasn't the big part of the story. It was more a background of everything else that was going on.

3.) It ended. I wanted it go on forever and forever :D :D : D


Overall, this book is an experience. You are not just reading a regular book. You are going on a ride that will make you laugh than squint at the pages with confusion. Read this, it will make your life better.

Rating: *****
Cover Rating: Perfect, just like this book
Recommendations:
1. It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini
2. The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
3. Going Bovine by Libba Bray
Favorite Quotation: "I am the Thomas Edison of conversational stupidity"

Now, what do you think?

Sincerely,
a Book Nerd

No comments:

Post a Comment