Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses


Title: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Author: Sarah J Maas 
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Publication Date:May 5, 2015
Genre: Fantasy
Page Count: 419
Age Range: 12+ 


Synopsis (from Goodreads):

When nineteen- year- old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherouos magical land she only knowns about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor in not an animal, but Tamlin- one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.

As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hositility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Fayre must find a way to stop it...or doom Tamlin- and his world- forever.

My Thoughts:
Okay you all known I love Sarah J Maas. The first time I read Throne of Glass I almost passed out with happiness. Let me just tell you all that I love her so much more after this book. It was suspenseful, cute, exciting, and just overall perfect. Maas did a great job with this book ad it was more than what I was expecting. You really get pulled into the world that Maas created. Once you understand the dynamics of the characters and the world, you can really appreciate the actions and thoughts of each and every one of the characters.

This book is about a human girl named Feyre who lives in a world dominated by fairies. Humans are looked down upon and sometimes used as slaves. Feyre is pulled into the world of fairies when she kills a fairy lord's man. She must live on the property of Lord Tamlin to fulfill her punishment. Her original thoughts on fairies are thrown out the window when she starts to get close to Tamlin, and his right hand man Lucien.

I loved this book because of the story. Maas weaves a web and a whole different world filled with all types of fairies. I first started to love fairy stories after the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa. I was first expecting something like this, but this book  takes a whole different route. I was always guessing as to what was going to happen next. One thing I really love about Maas is that she does not write what the readers want. She writes what the characters would actually do and what is realistic for that specific world. In Throne of Glass, the events that took place made sense even though I was not always hapy with them (you know what I am talking about if you have read Crown of Midnight). In A Court of Thorns and Roses, Maas does not change this. I was unhappy a couple of times with what happened because I wanted everything to have a perfect ending, but of course this is not realistic.

Let me talk about Feyre now. Man did I love her. I kept comparing her to Celaena (Throne of Glass) which was not a good idea from the beginning because I am obsessed with Celaena. I think the main difference between the two is that Feyre is so loyal. She made a deal with her mother and she must take care o her family even though they do not give a rat's butt about her. Celaena, on the other hand, has ever really had a family to take care of or any real attachments that were in her way. Of course Feyre had her faults, like any other person, but she works on them ad shows her strength against Amarantha at the end.

Overall, you should read this book. End of story.

Rating: *****
Cover Rating: YES
Recommendation:
1. Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas
2. The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski
3. Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins


Now, what do you think?


Sincerely.
a Book Nerd

No comments:

Post a Comment