Monday, April 20, 2015

Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi




Title: Shatter Me

Author: Tahereh Mafi
Publisher: Harper
Publication Date: November 15, 2001
Genre: Fantasy/ Paranormal
Page Count: 338
Age Range:12+


Synopsis (from Goodreads):
I have a curse.
I have a gift.
I am a monster.
I'm more than human.
My touch is lethal.
My touch is power.
I am their weapon.
I will fight back.

Juliette hasn't touched anyone is exactly 264 days. 
The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17 year old year old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.
The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and the Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous boyd. may she's exactly what they need right now. 

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior. 

My Thoughts:

So my thoughts on this book have definitely changed over time. I have read this book a couple of times in the past four years and every time I read it, I find something new that I like or dislike. The first time I read this book, I absolutely loved it. I thought it was not only a great love story but a really interesting dystopian. The second time I read it, I was not really a fan of Juliette's male counter part and the last time I was just focused on the reality of the novel. So let me tell you what I think of this book now, after the fourth time of reading it.

First of all, I love the plot. I think with many YA dystopians, the revolution or problems occur in a typical girl/ boy in the population. In this book, we get to see what happens in the middle of it. Juliette is staying with the son of the leader of The Reestablishment, so she gets to see and hear everything. I thought it was a new and different way of writing a dystopian and I really enjoyed it.

Now speaking of Juliette, I thought that she was sooo annoying in the beginning. She would whine and complain but over time, she learned and loved which finally allowed her to grow. I thought that Mafi did a great job writing this book because we could feel everything Juliette was feeling. In the first couple of chapters, some sentences were crossed out (like in the synopsis) and some were amplified more that others. We could understand and feel what Juliette was going through. I also liked how Mafi grew Juliette over the novel. In the beginning she was a confused, broken girl and at the end she was confident in her abilities.

The one thing I really did not like in this book was Adam. Like I said before, when I first read it I loved him. But now I just cannot understand him and I really did not like his relationship with Juliette. I think he just spend so much time with her because he wanted to fix her and heal her. I just felt that he was a fake character and I could see through all of his crap. Their romance was also really sappy and I thought it was the typical YA romance. I did not feel any love between the two of them...I think Juliette only liked Adam because they could touch without one of them dying..


Overall, I think that this book has a different writing technique and a really interesting plot. Although some of the characters may be hard to connect to, I would recommend it to everyone!

Rating: ****
Cover Rating: LOVE IT
Recommendations:
1. Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
2. Divergent by Veronica Roth
3. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Now, what do you think?

Sincerely,
a Book Nerd

No comments:

Post a Comment