Monday, April 6, 2015

Review: Dove Arising by Karen Bao



Title: Dove Arising 
Author: Karen Bao
Publisher: Viking Books
Publication Date: February 24th, 2015
Genre: Science Fiction 
Page Count: 336
Age Range: 12+ 




Synopsis (from Goodreads):
Phaet Theta has lived her whole life in a colony on the moon. She's barely spoken since her father died in an accident nine years ago. She cultivates the planets in Greenhouse 22, lets her best friend talk for her, and stays off the government's radar. Then her mother is arrested. The only way to save her younger siblings from the degrading Shelter is by enlisting in the Militia, the faceless army that polices the Lunar bases and protects them from attacks by desperate Earth dwellers. Training is brutal, but it's where Phaet forms an uneasy but meaningful alliance with the preternaturally accomplished Wes, a fellow outsider. Rank high, save her siblings, free her mom: that's the plan. Until Phaet's logically ordered world begins to crumble...

My Thoughts:
So I originally picked this one up because I have seen it literally EVERYWHERE! Barnes and Noble, Amazon, blogs, the internet... the list is endless. Since I am a huge sci- fi nerd, I thought I would try it. 

My first impression of this book is how well written it is for the author's first novel. Karen Bao started writing this book at the age of 17 and now finished it during college. I think it is so amazing that she was able to accomplish this at such a young age. I also think its really interesting how she incorporated facts from what she is learning in school. She is college for environmental biology, and this comes up in the novel at Greenhouse 22. Now only did I learn about the moon while reading this book, but I also learned a lot about plants and how they would function on the moon. Pretty. Freakin. Cool. 

So, the book is about a girl who was raised on the Moon. Earth completely destroyed itself, and now only those left behind life there. Phaet, is tested once her mother is arrested. She has to take care of not only herself, but her family. Throughout her journey, she learns more about herself, her family/ friends, and the planet she lived on. 

Although I was impressed with her first novel, there were some flaws. The book was predictable and some of it reminded me of other books. At one part I thought I was reading Divergent, but sometimes ideas from books overlap. I also thought that some of the characters were a bit cookie- cutter. I thought Phaet was an okay main character. She was a tad whiny, and a bit annoying at times. But, she got the job done and was very determined. I think Wes was the problem for me. He just changed personalities so many times that I never knew what was going through his head. He was unpredictable, but in the bad way. 

This book was definitely creative. Bao creates a whole world on the Moon and draws pictures that are just so crazy to think about. This book really makes you think about what would happen if humanity could not stay on Earth anymore. If the science that is portrayed in the novel is true, the Moon may be a choice.

Overall, I think this was a good read, but a great first book for the author. It is not something I would read again though. 

Rating: ***
Cover Rating: Pretty cool
Recommendations:
1. Divergent by Veronica Roth
2. These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman
3. Inherit Midnight by Kate Kae Myers 

Now, what do you think?
Sincerely,
a Book Nerd 

No comments:

Post a Comment