Monday, March 23, 2015

Review: These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman



Title: These Broken Stars
Author: Amie Kaufman
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Publication Date: December 10, 2013
Genre: Science Fiction
Page Count: 374 
Age Range: 12+


Synopsis (from Goodreads):
Luxury spaceliner Icarus suddenly plummets from hyperspace into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive--alone. Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a cynical war hero. Both journey across the eerie deserted terrain for help. Everything changes when they uncover the truth.

The Starbound Trilogy: Three worlds. Three love stories. One enemy.

My Thoughts:

So recently I have been really into science fiction. I have read a lot of fiction and non fiction texts for some reason in the past couple of months, and I have realized how awesome it is. It is just really cool to think about the possibilities of life in our galaxy and others. Okay so I think I will start talking about the book now.

Let me just start by saying that I thought that Kaufman did an awesome job with the science part of this book. I am most definitely not a space scientist and never will be so I do not know that much about the physics of space. But, I did think that everything that she wrote made sense for a fiction book. The book in set in a galaxy where most planets are inhabited by some sort of life form. Two characters, Tarver and Lilac are on a huge space liner that is going from two different planets. When this space liner crashes into an "uninhabited" planet, they must learn how to survive and get back home. 

I thought the plot was really interesting. I never got bored but I can say that I liked the beginning of the book was much better than the end.. I thought that once Tarver and Lilac figured out that they were not alone on this planet that it went downhill. I think it was a problem with "suspense of disbelief". It was just a little difficult for me to wrap my head around some of the things that were going on. But, that is just me and I know some people who loved the end. 

Now onto the characters....I really liked them. I mean there are only two characters that are really in the book. The secondary characters are only present for a small portion of the book. In the beginning of the book, I despised Lilac. She is the typical rich girl whose father does everything for her. But once she has to spend time with Tarver, she realizes there is so much more than what her father has given her. I thought her character development was the most present. Tarver did change throughout the book but it was not as apparent. 

Overall, I thought that this was a pretty interesting book. It is not something that you just pick up for a quick and easy read. You have to get into it, and buy into the story that Kaufman is giving you. If you like learning about space/ science fiction than I would definitely recommend this to you.

Rating: ***/*
Cover Rating: Nah, sorry
Recommendations:
1. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
2. A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray
3. Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard 

Now, what do you think?
Sincerely, 
a Book Nerd 

No comments:

Post a Comment