Monday, March 30, 2015

Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass





Title:
The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: April 24th, 2014
Genre: Dystopian? Probably 
Page Count: 336
Age Range: 12+




Synopsis (from Goodreads): 
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, which is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. 
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined. 

My Thoughts:
Okay, I think I can easily sum up this book in a few words. The Bachelor meets the Hunger Games. It has some actions but it is really mainly just a love competition...but I am most definitely not complaining. I will say it is not the most deep, life changing, well written book. I liked it mainly because of its entertainment value. I could usually tell what was going to happen and what the characters would do next. So, if you are looking for an amazing jaw dropping book, this is not the one for you.

The book revolves around a girl named America (you will learn why this is her name in the book ;D) who is selected to be in a competition to win the heart of Prince Maxon and become Queen of Illea. I really like the setting of this book. The caste system was  especially interesting for me. I have read so many books that have some sort of caste system but I liked this one because the caste that each character was in would have a huge impact on their personality, income, and family life. Although America was not at the lowest level, she still worked hard to get her food. It was also really interesting that Kiera Cass made Illea a  post- America society. She gives us a snippet of a future that may be in store for the United States and what might happen after there is a downfall of some nations in the world.

Now onto the characters..... They are so typical YA fiction. I am not necessarily saying this is a bad thing but they were nothing super special. They were not very thought provoking and really just skimmed the top layer. This does not stop me from completely loving Maxon though. My brain is telling me "he is not that great" but uh, he is just so amazing. His relationship with American was really cute. I absolutely loved when they met. Hands down my favorite part of the book. I will not tell you what happens because you just need to read it yourself.

The thing about this book that is making me hesitate between four and five stars is that it is so YA fiction. There is not that much there besides the entertainment value. The writing just passes sub par and it does not make you really reflect or think about the issues brought up in the book.

Overall, this is a very entertaining novel filled with charming characters and an interesting back story. If you are looking for a light read, this is the one for you!!

Rating: ****
Cover Rating: I LOVE IT
Recommendations;
1. Matched by Allie Condie
2. Delirium by Lauren Oliver
3. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Now, what do you think?

Sincerely,
a Book Nerd

No comments:

Post a Comment