Monday, March 16, 2015

Review: I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson



Title: I'll Give You the Sun
Author: Jandy Nelson
Publisher: Dial Books
Publication Date: September 16, 2014
Genre: Contemporary 
Page Count: 371 
Age Range: 12+ 



Synopsis (from Goodreads):Jude and her twin brother, Noah, are incredibly close. At thirteen, isolated Noah draws constantly and is falling in love with the charismatic boy next door, while daredevil Jude cliff- dives and wears red-red lipstick and does the talking for the both of them. But three years later, Jude and Noah are barely speaking. Something has happened to wreck the twins in different and dramatic ways....until Jude meets a cocky, broken, beautiful boy, as well as someone else-- an even more unpredictable new force in her life. The early years are Noah's story to tell. The later years are Jude's. What the twins do not realize is that they each have only half the story, and if they could just find their way back to one another, they'd have a chance to remake their world. 

My Thoughts:
Two words.
Book. Covers.
Book covers make it or break books for me. If I see a book cover I do not like, I will not pick it up. It is a fact, and I live by this fact. So, when I originally saw this book a couple of months ago, I said "No way, it looks like a rainbow threw up." So when my favorite librarian said "can you read this for me and tell me how it it?" I secretly thought I would rather cut my own foot off with a spoon. But, because she is my favorite, I said yes.

Oh, am I glad I said yes. This book changed me. It made me think about my actions, my thoughts, and what I say to anyone before we part ways. Each and every character in this book makes decisions that change not only their lives, but their whole families. As they do, the web is weaved even more and it gets harder and harder to unravel everything. Both Jude and Noah must admit what they have done to the family, and how it has affected them, but to themselves. They need some serious time to themselves to sort out what has happened to them.

I am not going to tell you what happens in this book, because if I give one little detail it might ruin the book for you. The author, Jandy Nelson, leaves little breadcrumbs throughout the novel. Each breadcrumb is vital to the end, so if I give you a breadcrumb, the whole book may fall apart. I will keep the breadcrumbs for now. 

I will say that the structure of this book is so original and I absolutely loved it. It takes place in two different time periods. When the twins are 13 and the when the twins are 16. When they are 13, you see out of Noah's eyes, and when they are 16, you see out of Jude's eyes. This was awesome because you knew some things about the other character, but you were trying to draw your own conclusions and figure out what was going on. It was like playing a game while reading the book. It was so interactive and so much fun to read. I was always guessing what would happen, telling my coworker, reading a bit more, then telling my coworker if I was right. It was a never ending game that ended with my coworker excitedly waiting for what I would say. 

I think that everyone will connect with the story. If you like romance, you are good there. You like suspense, got that for you too. I really connected to it. My little sister and I used to have a tough relationship. But now, we are really close. So, I could totally understand what Noah and Jude were going through. The family dynamics of the novel are tested every which way and the whole time you are hoping it will end up okay. 

Overall, this book was entertaining and touching. It gave me everything I wanted in a very unique way. Round of applause Ms. Nelson.

Rating: *****
Cover Rating: No thanks
Recommendations:
1. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta 
2. The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
3. All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven 

Now, what do you think?


Sincerely,
a Book Nerd 

No comments:

Post a Comment