Monday, March 2, 2015

Review: The Book of Ivy by Amy Engel




Title:
 The Book of Ivy
Author: Amy Engel

Publisher: Entangled: Teen

Publication Date: November, 11 2014
Genre: Dystopian 

Page Count: 282
Age Range: 13+ 


Synopsis (from Goodreads):
After a brutal nuclear war, the United States was left decimated. A small group of survivors eventually banded together, but only after more conflict over which family would govern the new nation. The Westfalls lost. Fifty years later, peace and control are maintained by marrying the daughters of the losing side to the sons of the winning group in a yearly ritual. 
This year, it is my turn.
My name is Ivy Westfall, and my mission is simple: to kill the president's son- my soon-to- be- husband- and restore the Westfall family to power. 
But Bishop Lattimer is either a very skilled actor or he's not the cruel, heartless boy my family warned me to expect. He might even be the one person in this world who truly understands me. But the is not escape from my fate. I am the only one who can restore the Westfall legacy.
Because Bishop must die. And I must be the one to kill him.....

My Thoughts:

YES! Finally a distopian that I can actually read without a rant afterwards! I am so surprised with this book. Honestly, I was not expecting to REALLY like it, but man did I. Since I started blogging, I have tried to find books that are obscure and have not hit the "big times" yet. Some of them have been mediocre, and some have been amazing (like this one).  The Book of Ivy was thought provoking, suspenseful, heartbreaking, and just flat out awesome. Let me just say I want the next one (The Revolution of Ivy) ..... NOW. Please and thank yous.

It takes place after the United States was pretty much destroyed. Only two families are left and they must fight to gain power. Ivy is related to the family that lost. Every year, the girls of the losing side have to marry the boys of the winning side. This year, Ivy is one of those lucky girls. But... she is extra special. She gets to marry the presidents son (gasp)! Since she is a direct relative of the Westfall family, she has to marry the direct relative of the winning family. Keep in mind that these kids are in their teens. That like if I had to get married (ugh). Anyway, her family wants to get back into power so she is tasked with killing the president's son (Bishop). Sounds pretty easy right? Yeah, not at all.

I loved the plot. I was on my toes the entire time. Ivy takes us on an incredible journey where she learns more about herself and more about the city she is from and the history of the families. I thought it was interesting because it is very probable that this might happen. I mean, if the world ends someone has to come to power. The population will have to grow back somehow, so how else but to marry off the youngin and get them breeding. The novel also explores family dynamics and how far you would go for your family which was really interesting.

I was kind of obsessed with Ivy. She understood how crazy the President's plans were and did what she could to fight it. She also was not like any other girl narrator in any other book. She was not super bold and did not go out of her way to get what she wanted. I felt like she was more realistic, especially for someone in her situation. I did feel like she got a little wishy washy when it came to Bishop (swoon...). Speaking of Bishop, man oh man. He was just wonderful. He was easy around Ivy and made sure she was comfortable. And that seen with the roof?!?! HE will stand up for what he believes in, whether that goes against his father's wishes.

Now... I cannot end my review without giving my reaction in regards to the ending. Ready...?


WHAT THE FRICKIDY FRACK WAS THAT?!?!?! FIRST OF ALL, HOW COULD ENGEL DO THAT TO ALL OF US?!?! I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL NOVEMBER TO READ THE NEXT BOOK LADY!!

Gosh, I hate when authors do that.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this book. It was entertaining and made me think about the possibility of this happening.

My Rating:****/*
Cover Rating: I like it
Recommendations:
1. The Conspiracy of Us All by Maggie Hall
2. Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
3. The Selection by Kiera Cass

Now, what do you think?
Sincerely, 
a Book Nerd 

No comments:

Post a Comment