Monday, February 2, 2015

Review: Where the Stars Still Shine by Trish Doller




Title: Where the Stars Still Shine
Author: Trish Doller
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Publication Date: September 24, 2013
Genre: Contemporary
Age Range: 13+


Synopsis (from Goodreads):
Stolen as a child from her large and loving family, and on the run with her mom for more than ten years, Callie has only the barest idea of what normal life might be like. She's never had a home, never gone to school, and has gotten most of her meals from laundromat vending machines. Her dreams are haunted by memories she’d like to forget completely. But when Callie’s mom is finally arrested for kidnapping her, and Callie’s real dad whisks her back to what would have been her life, in a small town in Florida, Callie must find a way to leave the past behind. She must learn to be part of a family. And she must believe that love--even with someone who seems an improbable choice--is more than just a possibility.

Trish Doller writes incredibly real teens, and this searing story of love, betrayal, and how not to lose your mind will resonate with readers who want their stories gritty and utterly true.


My Thoughts:
Okay so I do not really know where I stand on this one. I am hoping that as I go through this review I will be able to have some sort of coherent thought on the book by the end of this. Lets hope! Cross your fingers guys.

So the book is about a teenage girl named Callie who was kidnapped by her mother when she was little. Ever since then, she has moved from state to state with her. Her mother has not been the best mother, and definitely did not protect her from everything. When they get pulled over on their way to Colorado, the police figure out that Callie is the Callie, and they send her to live with her father. Does anyone watch Finding Carter? If you do, this is sort of like this. Callie is sent to a whole new family and she has to adjust to a totally different life.

Let me just start by saying that I really enjoyed the writing. I think this is one of my favorite things about Trish Doller's work. She incorporates flashbacks and tidbits from the past without it dominating the whole book. I was always so intrigued every time I saw the italicized words.
I also really liked the characters. They all seemed so rich in life and so hmmm... REAL. I could really connect to each and every single of one of them. I understood where they were coming from and why they were doing what they were doing. I especially liked Callie. She was not trying to impress anyone or change herself. She knew who she was and she was not gonna change anything. Also her and Alex?!?! Yummy. I liked him. A lot.

One thing I disliked about this book was the feeling I got after I finished it. It was not "OH MAN THATS SO FLIPPIN CRAZY!!!!!" No, it was more of "okay." And I do not know how I feel about that. One of the ways I judge how I feel about a book is the feeling I get when I finish, and this one didn't have a wonderful ending feeling.

Overall, I thought that it was a great read but a tad disappointing in the end.

My Rating: ****
Cover Rating: I like it
Recommendations:
1. Dead Girls Don't Lie by Jennifer Shaw Wolf
2. Another Little Piece of My Heart by Tracey Martin
3. Bruised by Sarah Skilton

Now, what do you think?!

Sincerely,
a Book Nerd

No comments:

Post a Comment