Monday, February 16, 2015

Review: Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers



Title: Some Girls Are
Author: Courtney Summers 
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Date: January, 5 2010
Page Count: 256
Genre: Contemporary 
Age Range: 13+


Synopsis (from Goodreads):
Climbing to the top of the social ladder is hard- falling from it is even harder. Regina Afton used to be a member of the Fearsome Fivesome, an all-girl clique both feared and revered by the students at Hallowell High...until vicious rumors about her and her best friends' boyfriend started going around. Now Regina's been "frozen out" and her ex- best friends are out for revenge. If Regina was guilty, it would be one thing, but the rumors are far from the terrifying truth and the bullying is getting more intense by the day. She takes solace in the company of Michael Hayden, a misfit with a tragic past while she herself used to bully. Friendship does not come easily for these onetime enemies, but as Regina works hard to make amends for her past, she realizes Michael could be more than just a friend...if threats from the Fearsome Fivesome do not break them both first. 

My Thoughts:

I think that this is one of those books that everyone should read. I am just going to start by saying that. I mean, it is not an uplifting super happy book. So do not pick it up with the intention of feeling super amazing after reading it and having an easy read. It is a book that makes you really think about the characters and the plot.

I am fortunate enough to have gone to pretty great schools as I was growing up. There were not many cases of really bad bullying, and I have never seen anything crazy happen while I was in school. This book really opened my eyes to what can happen in some schools. I understand that the events in this book may be exaggerated, but I do know that the feelings the characters have are real. It also showed me that you really have to be careful of your actions because you never know what the consequences might be.

Okay, so the book is pretty much about a girl named Regina who used to be SUPER popular. But, with this popularity came vicious acts. She, among her friends, would ostracize other students and make them feel like literal dirt. However, this all comes back to her when she is the one who feels like dirt. She is taken out of popularity because of a misunderstanding with her friends. She has to learn that what she did while she was popular was horrible, and how to live without labels.

One of the aspects I liked most about this book was how fast it went. It is a really short book but there is always something going on. I never got bored and I was always anticipating what would come next. It was definitely an entertaining one, and that comes with the plot. It was events that happen in everyday life and that are so easy to connect to.

Courtney Summers's writing was very vivid and clear as well. She crafted the characters perfectly and they felt so....real. It was like I was watching this book unfold right in front of me. I could feel every emotion that each and every character felt, Regina especially. She was a complainer at some points but she really learns and understands what she has done wrong in her life.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a really emotional book. It was a quick, entertaining book that really makes you think.

My Rating: ****
Cover Rating: Okay 
Recommendations:
1. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
2. Cracked Up To Be by Courtney Summers
3. Fall For Anything by Courtney Summers 

Now what do you think?

Sincerely,
a Book Nerd

No comments:

Post a Comment