Monday, February 9, 2015

Review: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell





Title: Fangirl
Author: Rainbow Rowell 
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Publication Date: September 10, 2013
Page Count: 445
Genre: Contemporary
Age Range: 12+ 

Synopsis (from Goodreads):
Cath is a Simon Snow fan.
Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan...
But for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.
Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere
Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn't want to.
Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn't want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words... And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.
For Cath, the question is: Can she do this?
Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?
And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?


My Thoughts: 

Okie Dokie. Let me just start by prefacing that I was never a fan of Rainbow Rowell. I have never liked this author's writing. I can't really tell why but I just don't. So, I did not have really high expectations for this book. I also do not know how I feel about it. On one hand I really enjoyed the plot but on the other I do not have good feeling about it when I think back on the book. Let me explain why.... 

First, I did not grasp their relationship (that is, Cath and Levi). I just didn't feel anything between them. I always thought of them as like brother and sister. I also did not really like either of them so when I thought of them together, I was just like eh. 

So speaking of Cath, I never was a big fan. In the beginning I tried really hard to like her but by the end I gave up on that. I thought she complained so much about things that she can easily fix herself. I also thought she was hard to connect to. I was surprised at this because I am a homebody and not the most social person ever so when I first started reading it I thought I would connect to her a lot. But no. I just thought it was because she did some things that I know I would never do or say ever. Now to Levi... I feel bad for saying this but the reason I did not like him was because he reminded me of someone I know who I am not a huge fan of. Sorry Levi! I have when that happens because I try so hard to like that character and it can never happen.

I did really like Wren, Cath's sister. In the beginning I really did not because she was purposely boxing her family out of her life. But by the end I think she realized that she really needs them, especially due to the fact that she lost her mother when she was younger. I also really liked Cath and Wren's relationship. They had huge differences but they got over them to be there for their dad and for each other. It kind of reminds me of my sister and I, and I liked that. 

Now to the plot. I liked the college thing. I feel like so many YA books focus on the hardships of high school so it was refreshing to read something about college. I liked that Cath had to adjust her writing for her creative writing class. She realized that not everything was fan fiction and that she could learn more. Speaking of fan fiction... I was just uncomfortable with that. I just never liked it so getting the inside scoop was just weird. Also, the fan fiction she was writing was so similar to Harry Potter and I could not get the idea of Harry and Draco out of my head. Ugh.  But I did enjoy the characters' journey through college. 

Overall, I think this this book had a good idea and plot but the characters did not do it for me. 

My Rating: ***
Cover Rating:
Nah.
Recommendations: 
1. Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
2. Paper Towns by John Green
3. An Abundance of Katherine's by John Green

Now, what do you think?

Sincerely,
a Book Nerd 

No comments:

Post a Comment