Monday, January 12, 2015

Review: Half- Blood by Jennifer L Armentrout




Title: Half- Blood
Author: Jennifer L Armentrout 
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Publication Date: October 18th, 2011
Page Count: 281 
Genre: Paranormal
Age Range: 12+

Synopsis (from Goodreads):
The Hematoi descend form the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi pure bloods have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals- well, not so much. Half- bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden is not her biggests problem- staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty,she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

My Thoughts:
For some strange reason I did not want to read this. I have no idea why. Looking back at it now, I should have read this years ago. This book was AMAZING!!! I read it in one sitting, and then I just had to buy the next like three more right after this. I think that the reason why I did not want to read it was because I love Jennifer Armentrout so much that I was worried that this was not going to be as good as the Lux Series. This was totally irrational because it was just as good as the Lux Series. 

I guess I should stop raving about it, and actually tell you why I thought that it was good. Well first, I loved the idea of the story.  I love books like this where they are being trained to fight and work on their powers. It is not just like they woke up one day and could fight like crazy. No way. These people actually have to work day in and day out to achieve the level that they can. So pretty much, the story revolves around a teenage girl named Alex. Her mother was a pure, which makes her a half- blood. She was in the Covenant, training to  be a Sentinel, until she was around twelve. Her mother took her out of the Covenant and traveled around the country with her, hoping they would not have to go back. When her mother gets killed by daimons (which are just pures who went crazy) she is forced to back to the Covenant. She pretty much has to fight for her right to stay there, and if she does not catch up to the other kids her age, she is going to be sent to servitude. So that sounds pretty awesome right?!?! 

I thought that the plot was so interesting. The relationship between the pures and the half-bloods was so complex and intricate. When they are kids, they are in school together and they seem like they are friends and they can work well with each other. In reality, they are brought so far apart by the laws and rules of the society. The half bloods know that eventually they will have to serve the pures, and will never have equal rights. Armentrout dives deeper into this concept throughout the series as well. She did a great job using concepts  from everyday life and history and fitting it into an entirely different world. 

I also loved the characters. I do not think I have loved a character as much as Alex. She is one of my all time favorite characters, and I would love to be her. She has so much spunk and attitude, but a big heart as well. She just wants to do what is right for everyone (half bloods and pures). She is not afraid to stand up for herself or fight for what she believes in. I feel like she does it in a way that is different from other girls in other books. She takes the problem head on, and faces it with cunning and emotion. Alex is a really unique character that I thought added a lot to the story. The other characters were great as well. Aiden **cue the swooning** was the perfect man candy for the novel. Every time he came into the room, I had heart palpitations alongside of Alex. 

Armentrout's writing is also really captivating. There was not one moment where I was bored, because she always keeps you on your toes. You are always waiting to see what happens, or hoping that something specific would happen. She keeps you entranced, and you never want to stop reading. 

Overall, this was a great quick read. It had a great plot, writing and characters. If you are in a book lull right now, I suggest you pick this up (along with the rest of the series)!!!

My Ratings: *****
Cover Rating:
I like it 
Recommendation:
1. The Lux Series by Jennifer L Armentrout
2. Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins
3. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead 

Now what do you think?
Sincerely,
a Book Nerd 

No comments:

Post a Comment