Monday, December 22, 2014

Review: More Than This by Richard Ness


Title: More Than This
  Author: Patrick Ness
  Publisher: Walker Books
  Publication Date: May 1st, 2014
  Page Count: 480
Genre: Contemporary 
Age Range: 14+
Synopsis (from Goodreads):
A boy drowns, desperate and alone in his final moments. He dies.

Then he wakes, naked and bruised and thirsty, but alive.

How can this be? And what is this strange deserted place?

As he struggles to understand what is happening, the boy dares to hope. Might this not be the end? Might there be more to this life, or perhaps this afterlife?

From multi-award-winning Patrick Ness comes one of the most provocative and moving novels of our time.
My Thoughts:
Let me just start by saying that I HATED the beginning of the book. I could barely get myself to finish it. The first 75 pages I had to literally force myself to open the pages of the book. My oh my was it AMAZING!! The book took a literal 360 and was pure gold.

The book starts off with a boy named Seth waking up in his old town in England, in a coffin connected to tubes and weird masking tape. He has no idea why he is there because the last place he was, was drowning in an ocean in America. There is no one else around and there is not a single noise. He thinks he is in hell because last time he was in this town, his brother was abducted and injured by an escaped prisoner.

He soon finds two other people in the area and together they find out the reason why they are in this place. I will not explain why they were there because that is a MAJOR spoiler alert. But, let me tell you that the reason they are there will blow your mind. It made me think about reality and what we think to be real and true, so completely differently. The author, Patrick Ness, did a great job with the plot. It was new and unique (something that I have never read before).

I loved the characters as well. Each one had their faults but they were strong-willed and fit together perfectly. There were three characters that were major parts of the book. Seth (the main character), Regine (a side kick) and Tomasz (the other side kick). Seth was a great main character. There were some times when I thought was too dramatic and needed to take a step back and evaluate his life, but towards the end I thought he was the perfect hero for the story. Regine was another great character. She went through a lot of crap during her life and that made her rough around the edges. But when you could break through her walls she was a softie. Lastly, my favorite. Tomasz is an eleven year old boy from Poland. He was so cute. He was caring, tough and so just awesome. He literally saved their lives like a million times.

After getting through those first 75 pages, the book started getting more intense. The characters were being chased by super-human machines and they were trying to figure out their lives and if they were real. I was flipping the pages so hard because it was so suspenseful.

Overall, I thought that More Than This was a great read. It was deep, thought- provoking and really made me want to read more.

My Rating: ****/*
Cover Rating: Don't like it
Recommendations:
1. The Maze Runner by James Dashner
2. Reality Boy by A.S King
3. Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner
Now on to your thoughts, what do you think?

Sincerely,
a Book Nerd

No comments:

Post a Comment