Monday, December 15, 2014

Review: The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson


Title: The Impossible Knife of Memory
  Author: Laurie Halse Anderson
  Publisher: Viking Juvenile
  Publication Date: January 7th, 2014
  Page Count: 391
Genre: Contemporary 
Age Range: 12+
Synopsis (from Goodreads):
For the past five years, Hayley Kincain and her father, Andy, have been on the road, never staying long in one place as he struggles to escape the demons that have tortured him since his return from Iraq. Now they are back in the town where he grew up so Hayley can attend school. Perhaps, for the first time, Hayley can have a normal life, put aside her own painful memories, even have a relationship with Finn, the hot guy who obviously likes her but is hiding secrets of his own.

Will being back home help Andy’s PTSD, or will his terrible memories drag him to the edge of hell, and drugs push him over? The Impossible Knife of Memory is Laurie Halse Anderson at her finest: compelling, surprising, and impossible to put down
My Thoughts:
The Impossible Knife of Memory was very interesting to say the least. It was not exactly what I was expecting, but then again I had no idea what I expecting (if that makes any sense at all).

However, let me just say that Laurie Halse Anderson is an amazing author. She got the voice of a teenage girl down pat. There were some parts of the book where I literally said to myself "wow, I say that all of the time" or "Jeez, I pull that move." It was really refreshing to read a book that I could connect to the character so much.

Now to the nitty gritty. So, the book revolves around Hayley, the daughter of an Iraq veteran. Her whole lifetime, she has traveled cross coutnry with him and stayed with her dad's ex-girlfriend. Now, they are settling down for real. She has to get used to public school as well as her dad's PTSD after coming home from Iraq.

One thing I really liked about this book was the fact that I could really understand what Andy (her dad) was going through. Anderson made it so real and understandable. At some points I just wanted Hayley to run and at others I was proud of him because I thought he was getting better. I do not personally know any veterans who had PTSD but I am thinking that this is a pretty good representation of it.

I think one of the reasons I was iffy on this book after I read it was because I was expecting more. I loved the plot and the characters but when I finished it I was still waiting for something extra to make me put it on my extra special bookcase. I think it is because I am so used to reading books jam packed with action. There were a couple really great suspenseful scenes, but none that got me super excited.

Overall, I thought that The Impossible Knife of Memory was a really touching story that had characters that I could connect to. Although I was hoping for more, I did really enjoy this.
My Rating: ***/*
Cover Rating: Its okay I guess...
Recommendations:
1. Something Like Normal by Trish Doller
2. The Summer of Letting Go by Gae Polisner
3. Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson
Now on to your thoughts, what do you think?

Sincerely,
a Book Nerd

1 comment:

  1. I also expected more from this! It was good, but she's written other books that I LOVE so I was hoping I would love this one as well.

    ReplyDelete