Monday, December 29, 2014

Review: Anomaly by Tonya Kuper





Title: Anomaly
  Author: Tonya Kuper
  Publisher: Entangled Teen
  Publication Date: November 25, 2014
  Page Count: 400
Genre: Paranormal
Age Range: 12+

Synopsis (from Goodreads):
Reality is only an illusion.
Except for those who can control it… 

Worst. Birthday. Ever. 

My first boyfriend dumped me—happy birthday, Josie!—my dad is who knows where, I have some weird virus that makes me want to hurl, and now my ex is licking another girl’s tonsils. Oh, and I’m officially the same age as my brother was when he died. Yeah, today is about as fun-filled as the swamps of Dagobah. But then weird things start happening…

Like I make something materialize just by thinking about it.

When hottily-hot badass Reid Wentworth shows up on a motorcycle, everything changes. Like, everything. Who I am. My family. What really happened to my brother. Existence. I am Oculi, and I have the ability to change reality with my thoughts. Now Reid, in all his hotness, is charged with guiding and protecting me as I begin learning how to bend reality. And he’s the only thing standing between me and the secret organization that wants me dead…
My Thoughts:

Alright so I am half and half on this one. I really liked the idea of the book and the characters, but I wanted a little more. I know I talked about this for The Impossible Knife of Memory, and it is the same thing. I do think that I liked this one a little bit more.

The book starts off with a girl named Josie. She is a complete sci-fi nerd who tends to stay to herself and her best friend Hannah. Her mother is very strict and she does not have any idea where her father is since he left four months ago. Then, a boy (Reid) on a motorcycle comes into her life  and changes everything she has ever known. She finds out that she has an ability to change reality. She can "push" and "retract" objects into reality. To give an example: Let us say that we really wanted a new bed. Josie would be able to think this, and there would be a new bed right there. That is the kind of ability she has. She is called an anomaly because she can Push and Retract.

So, she finds out that her parents are the founding members of the Resistance that are fighting against an organization that is controlling these people too much. So, Josie goes into training with Reid in order for her to become part of the Resistance. Her first task is to transport a vial of serum to the Vice President while she is getting an award.

 I loved the idea of the story. I thought it was really creative and well thought through. The author, Tonya Kuper, did a great job at making the book entertaining the whole time. I always wanted to read more, and it was very easy to just sit for hours at a time reading. She has a very smooth writing that flows well.

My favorite part of this book was the characters. Josie is just plain awesome. She is a complete nerd! Every time she would make a Star Wars reference, I would laugh to myself. She is also very strong- willed and kind. However, I did not get the "typical teen girl" from a book though. She had her faults but she fought through them. I also loved Reid. **swoon** I mean, lets be honest, every time he would think about Josie I just got happy. He really cared about her, but he want not scared to literally throw her in a huge hole so she could train. He did not take it easy on her and I thought that was awesome.

When I finished the book, I was a tad disappointing. It was soo good until the very end. I wish Kuper added more to the end or made it so I would want to read the sequel. I was not fulfilled for some reason, and I just wanted more.

Overall, I thought that Anomaly was a good, short read. It had a great plot and entertaining characters, but the ending made it hard for me to love the whole book as a whole. 

My Rating: ***/*
Cover Rating: Its okay 
Recommendations:
1. Echo Boy by Matt Haig 
2. Uninvited by Sophie Jordan
3. A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Grey
Now on to your thoughts, what do you think?

Sincerely,
a Book Nerd

No comments:

Post a Comment