Monday, November 24, 2014

Review: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart





Title: We Were Liars 
  Author: E. Lockhart 
  Publisher: Delacorte Press 
  Publication Date: May 13th, 2014
  Page Count: 227
Genre: YA Contemporary 
Age Range: 12+

Synopsis (from Goodreads):

A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart.

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.
 


My Thoughts:
Wow. Just wow. I just finished this about an hour ago and I am trying to figure out how I am going to put how I feel into words.

Let me just start by saying I was not expecting something so though provoking and twisted. I know it says that it is "suspenseful" and all that jazz but I thought that was just a marketing tool. Boy was I wrong. I was reading so fast to find out what happens that I was getting a headache. I was on my toes and the end sure did not disappoint.

So what is this book about? Honestly when I first started it, I had no idea. I was lost with all of the names and characters, I kept flipping back to the first chapter. But, after reading the first couple of chapters I understood that they were all cousins except for Gat.

Alright. So, pretty much the book is about a rich, well-off family that vacations on a private island every summer. There are the grandparents and three daughters, each with their own family. There are four children  who are around the same age who are called "the liars" which include Cady (the main character), Johnny, Gat and Mirren. The author never really explains exactly why they are called the Liars but you get an understanding as to why once you finish the book. Anyway, the book revolves around Cady coming back to the island after a freak accident that happened two years ago. She keeps flashing back to her life before it and what exactly happened on the night of the accident and why her family was so messed up.

I was not a huge fan of Cady, she was whiny and bathed in so much self- pity. However, I really did like the secondary characters like Johnny and Mirren. They showed that they were still a family even though their mothers were making it seem like they were not. I never was able to connect to the characters because the author does not go too in depth with them.

Although it was a short read, I think that the perfect size to get the point across as to what happens. This book spends the first half of the book setting you up with the background, then spends the next quarter giving you the issue and then the last quarter pretty much explaining what happened. For me, that last quarter was a slap in the face. I had no idea it would happened, or had happened. It was one of those moments where I closed the book and just stared at my wall because I would not believe what happened.

Overall, this book was  a great read. It was fast paced, and had a great ending to a suspenseful plot. Even though the characters were a little dull and hard to connect with, the story still seemed to live on its own.

My Rating: ****
Cover Rating: I like it 
Recommendations:
1. The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson 
2. Panic by Lauren Oliver
3. If I Stay by Gayle Forman
Now on to your thoughts, what do you think?

Sincerely,
a Book Nerd

No comments:

Post a Comment