Monday, November 3, 2014

Review: Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

 
Title: Sweet Evil

  Author: Wendy Higgins 
  Publisher: HarperTeen
  Publication Date: May 1, 2012
  Page Count: 447
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Age Range: 13+
Synopsis (from Goodreads): 
                                       
 Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.
Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?     

My Thoughts:
Jeez Louise. Wendy Higgins, man oh man do you know how to write. I am just going to start by saying I read this only in a couple hours. I COULD NOT put it down!!! I was on the edge of my seat, flipping the pages so hard they were ripping by the end of it. The was nerve-racking, intense, and creative. I only read this because there was a reference to the characters in a Jennifer Armentrout novel (and I love her so... I had to read this). However, once I read the description and saw that cover I was sort of wary to start it. Boy was I wrong.

The books starts off with Anna Whitt, a good girl who could never do wrong. All through her sixteen years she has had strange abilities. She can see auras and sense emotions. Each emotion gets a different color and she also has a very keen sense of smell, taste and hearing. She goes to a concert with her best friend Jay, and meets Kaidan Rowe (..swoon) who is half demon. Soon, she learns more about her background and finds out she is the daughter of demon "duke" and an angel. I thought this idea was very creative. I have read so many fallen angel books but this one took a different perspective. It focused more on the demon side of her heritage, but explained it so well. There are demon dukes for each of the 7 deadly sins and dukes for various other things like Anna's father (substance abuse). It was really interesting how the only reason the demons and their children were on Earth just to be bad influences on humanity.

At first, I thought Anna's personality was just an act. As I kept reading, I realized she actually cared about people and was very compassionate. I thought this suited her so well and helped a lot in the story (especially against bad boy Kaidan). Speaking of Kaidan.... woah. I mean he was just plain swoon worthy. I mean his father is the demon of lust so... Anyway, I loved his character because it was so different from Anna's and that made them so perfect together. I did hate the way he was always hot and cold to her though. At some points, I wanted to induce bodily harm because it was so unfair to Anna.

I also loved all of the secondary characters. Jay and Patti were a breath of fresh air. Patti was a wonderful influence on Anna and kept her sane while she was going through the "working" life. Jay was a perfect best friend and watched out for here while she was starting to spend more time with Kaidan,

I loved how each time I flipped a page, the stakes were getting higher. It was more important for Anna to be true to herself and for her relationship with Kaidan to be controlled. The control that all of the dukes have on their children was getting more intense by the end, and Anna had to step up and show was she was made of.

Overall, I thought that book was masterfully written. Higgins crafted a story that was well thought through. I felt a strong connection to all of the characters and felt everything that they felt. I did think that I was missing something at the end, but overall. So. Good.

My Rating: ****(*)
               This means it is so close to a 5 but not all of the way there :D 
Cover Rating: Eh, its kind of cheesy 
Recommendations:
1. Fallen by Lauren Kate
2. Obsidian by Jennifer L Armentrout
3. Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
Now on to your thoughts, what do you think?

Sincerely,
a Book Nerd


No comments:

Post a Comment