Monday, November 10, 2014

Review: Gathering Dark by Christine Johnson




Title: Gathering Dark

  Author: Christine Johnson
  Publisher: Simon Pulse
  Publication Date: February 13, 2013
  Page Count: 512
Genre: YA Fantasy
Age Range: 12+
Synopsis (from Goodreads): 


       
   A mysterious teen boy knows the secrets of Keira’s dangerous hallucinations in this gripping romantic fantasy from the author of Claire de Lune.

Keira’s hallucinating. First it’s a door hovering above the road; then it’s a tree in her living room. But with her parents fighting and her best friend not speaking to her, Keira can’t tell anyone about her breakdown.

Until she meets Walker. They have an electric connection, and somehow he can see the same shadowy images plaguing Keira.

But trusting Walker may be more dangerous than Keira could have ever imagined. The more she confides in him, the more intense—and frightening—her visions become. Because Walker is not what he appears to be. And neither are her visions.        
 
 
My Thoughts:

I think that Gathering Dark sounded better in the description than it actually was. I never really got in to the story or the characters. It seemed that it was all over the place and the author did not plan it out before writing. However, I still enjoyed the story.

The book starts off with a regular teenage girl named Kiera. She is a musical genius and practices hours on end. When she goes shopping at a music store one day she meets a teenaged boy named Walker. Since their encounter she starts seeing things and thinking she is crazy.

I was not a huge fan of Kiera. She seems like a nice person, but I just thought she was a little boring. She was pretty average (except for her music ability). She was kind of indecisive on all of her decisions, and wavered a lot. I did like her relationship with her best friend. I thought it was very typical of teenage girls and it reminded me of my friends. However, her best friend Susan proved to be not that great of a friend by the end when Kiera was having a hard time.

At first, I really like Walker. I thought he was mysterious and sexy, but at the end he was too emotional and strange for me and I think that was because of his "secret". He is from a parallel universe (the Dark Side) and he was sent from that side to bring back Kiera who is an experimental half Darkie. This was just plain confusing for me. I did not understand the science behind the alternate universe and the relationship between Kiera and the world just did not make sense for me.

Overall, I thought that this was lacking in a couple of areas. While I enjoyed some of the descriptions and relationships, I did think that the plot was confusing to follow and the main character a bit annoying.

My Rating: ***
Cover Rating: I don't really like it 
Recommendations:
1. Claire du Lune by Christine Johnson
2. Crash by Lisa McMann
3. Nocturne by Christine Johnson
Now on to your thoughts, what do you think?

Sincerely,
a Book Nerd


No comments:

Post a Comment