Monday, October 20, 2014

Review: The Maze Runner by James Dashner



   
  Title: The Maze Runner
  Author: James Dashner
  Publisher: Delacorte Press
  Publication Date: October 6, 2009
  Page Count: 374    
Genre: YA Dystopia/ Sci- Fi
Age Range: 12+
 
 
Synopsis (from Goodreads): 

                                                           
If you ain’t scared, you ain’t human.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He’s surrounded by strangers—boys whose memories are also gone.

Nice to meet ya, shank. Welcome to the Glade.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It’s the only way out—and no one’s ever made it through alive.

Everything is going to change.
Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.

Remember. Survive. Run.


 
My Thoughts:

Well, after a second go around at this book I can say that I like it just about the same. It is still the strange, exciting, and captivating book it was four years ago. The Maze Runner is just so different than any other book out there. It is not focused on romance or supernatural powers but rather a messed up situation in a violent dystopia.

I really like the idea of the book. It is crazy to even think about being in that situation, having your mind wiped, sent into a society that is surrounded by a maze that is unsolvable? I have no idea how I would react. I think Dashner did a great job making this world and situation seem so real and creepy (especially with the Grievers and Creators).

The book starts off with Thomas, the main character, being sent into the Glade with no recollection of his previous life. Then, the next day a girl is sent to the Glade which is strange for many different reasons. Soon, the Glade is triggered to end and Thomas and the other boys (and girl) have to figure out how to get out.

The first half of the book was kind of boring to me. It was just Thomas whining about not getting any answers from the other boys and hoping he would someday be a Runner (its your first day man, calm down). But, I loved the second half of the book once the ending is triggered. Everything starts happening at once and I could not put the book down. Thomas bucks up and realizes that the only way to help solve this crazy mystery is to sacrifice himself is some way (which I am not going to say for the sake of those who haven't read it :D).

Towards the end, I really felt that I was right there with the characters. I was going through all of the options available to the kids and was weighing each one. I loved this especially because it makes a book more enjoyable to me if I can interact with it.

Overall, I thought that this was a very interesting read although there was little personality depth with most of the characters. I enjoyed the violent society they live in and the whole idea of the novel.
 
My Rating: ****
Cover Rating: Its okay!
Recommendations:
1. Divergent by Veronica Roth
2. I am Number Four by Pitticus Lore
3. Lord of the Flies- William Golding

Any thoughts? 


Sincerely,
a Book Nerd
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment