Monday, October 27, 2014

Review: Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick


 
Title: Black Ice
  Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
  Publisher: Simon & Schuster
  Publication Date: October 7, 2014
  Page Count: 392 
Genre: YA Thriller
Age Range: 14+
 
 
Synopsis (from Goodreads): 

                                                           
Sometimes danger is hard to see... until it’s too late.

Britt Pfeiffer has trained to backpack the Teton Range, but she isn't prepared when her ex-boyfriend, who still haunts her every thought, wants to join her. Before Britt can explore her feelings for Calvin, an unexpected blizzard forces her to seek shelter in a remote cabin, accepting the hospitality of its two very handsome occupants—but these men are fugitives, and they take her hostage.

In exchange for her life, Britt agrees to guide the men off the mountain. As they set off, Britt knows she must stay alive long enough for Calvin to find her. The task is made even more complicated when Britt finds chilling evidence of a series of murders that have taken place there... and in uncovering this, she may become the killer’s next target.

But nothing is as it seems in the mountains, and everyone is keeping secrets, including Mason, one of her kidnappers. His kindness is confusing Britt. Is he an enemy? Or an ally?

BLACK ICE is New York Times bestselling author Becca Fitzpatrick’s riveting romantic thriller set against the treacherous backdrop of the mountains of Wyoming. Falling in love should never be this dangerous…

 
My Thoughts:
 
My oh my was this an interesting one. It was thrilling, scary, nerve racking and super sexy at times. I found myself multiple times at the edge of my seat, ripping the pages to find out what happens next. I have not read that many thrillers, so this was a new experience for me and let me tell you it will definitely happen again. I was actually expecting this book to have more romance, but I was happily surprised to see that its main focus was on the previous murder of three girls and some creepy pasts.

The books starts off with Britt and her friend Korbie going on spring break to backpack the Tetons. At first, Britt annoyed me. She was sooo focused on her ex and could not do anything for herself. Although she annoyed me I think Fitzpatrick did a great job making her this way. It was a true representation of the way some teenage girls act. As the book progressed, I was happy to see Britt get out of her shell and stand up for herself. By the end of the novel, I was applauding her actions and thought she was a great female character by the end of it. She got kidnapped for goodness sakes and the fact that she had enough mental strength to save Korbie and herself was pretty damn impressive.

However I really disliked her friend Korbie. Their friendship seemed so fake and degrading to me. Korbie would keep a running list of comparisons between the two of them, with each one trying to outshine the other. Also, what was up with her flirting with Shaun when she was supposed to be with Bear? I mean come on lady.

I also really enjoyed the murder mystery that kept the book moving. I felt that in this book I could really interact with the characters and kind of play murder mystery solver or whatever. I was always guessing who the killer would be (and I was right!). However, about halfway through I knew 100% who killed the girls and I was hoping there would be some sort of twist at the end.

Like I said, there was not as much romance as I was expecting, but I think that was for the best. It kept the readers more focused on their situation then their relationship. However, there were some swoon worthy scenes that I of course had to read over again :D.

I was really surprised with this book mostly because I was expecting something more like Hush, Hush. Do not get me wrong, I loved Hush, Hush but its not necessarily a thriller. I though Fitzpatrick's writing was great for the novel because it really kept me guessing

Overall, I thought that this was a really exciting read that I could not put down. I really interacted with it and I am hoping to read another Fitzpatrick masterpiece!

 
My Rating: ****
Cover Rating: LOVE IT
Recommendations:
1. The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting
2. Unmarked by Kami Garcia
3. The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey
 
Now on to your thoughts, what do you think?

Sincerely,
a Book Nerd
 

No comments:

Post a Comment